Monday, March 15, 2010

Networking - staying out of the corner of the room

If you knew me about 3 years ago, you know I was the person standing in the corner avoiding talking to anyone. After all, that would take making conversation with other business owners. It didn't take long for me to realize that I was wasting my time and money, and looking like I was mortified wasn't going to help me get my name out there.

Here's how I overcame networking fear:

1. Who will represent your business if you won't? I came to quick realization that if I couldn't represent my own business, no one else would. How was I going to gain the respect and trust of other local business owners if I didn't see myself? Think of it this way, it's lost opportunities to avoid talking to people.

2. Be Yourself. Why put on a front? Let's say you start talking to someone that is interested in your services and you make promises you know you can't keep. Eventually this person is going to do business with you, or send business your way, and now they know the real you. What kind of reputation is this building? Go in as yourself and represent the things you can do.

3. Talk about the other person. Uncomfortable talking about yourself? Ask the questions! Greet someone, ask them who they are, what they do, where they are located, why did they start their business, what do they specialize in. It's a great icebreaker to get to know someone first. By the time your 10 minutes into it, you've forgotten that you're uncomfortable.

4. Don't talk about the weather. Let's face it, you're not networking to learn what tomorrow's forecast is. You're trying to establish relationships to gain future business. Make a valuable conversation. Ask the question, "How can I get qualified referrals for you?" Make an effort to really learn about that person and what they're looking for. 9 times out of 10, they will ask you the same.

5. Look for other uncomfortable people. Most of the people in the room are just as uncomfortable as you are, some stand out more than others. Find someone that is standing alone, just like you are, and approach them. You can have a laugh about being nervous, and get right into the meat and potatoes of the meeting.

I promise, the more you try these, the better you'll get. I've gotten pretty comfortable talking with complete strangers by treating each little conversation as an opportunity.

No comments: