Thursday, July 17, 2014

Cut A Mama Some Slack



The moment someone at a business function finds out I am a mom, the first question to come up when I tell them I bring my child to work is how I handle a threenager and work responsibilities. There is no magic solution, and the same thing may not work for everyone, but this is the way I roll.

Having a support system is extremely important. My husband works a non-conventional work schedule and is fortunate enough to have off several days during the week. That takes care of my little nugget two days out of five. My mother is generous enough to have her over on Thursdays, which takes care of one more day. That leaves two days where I need to be a productive human being and nurture the growth and the well-being of mini-me, while at the office.

I am lucky enough to have a child that is even-tempered on most days. She occupies herself with books and toys, coming into the office multiple times a day for hugs, snacks and sometimes out of boredom. Boredom is where a little bit of mom-guilt kicks in: On one hand, I have invited her to be a part of my world instead of sending her to a stranger for day-care, and on the other I feel like she is being deprived of experiences with other children her age. I counteract this guilt by making sure we eat lunch together outside, away from the phone and emails. I also make a point to share some quality mommy-daughter time after work – going to the park, picking berries, coloring, Play-Doh, baking, etc.


In the grand scheme of things, people around the world have bigger problems, so I have made a conscious decision to cut myself some slack – and if you are a working mama, you should too. As mothers, we are all doing the best we can.

No comments: