Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Couch Understands Me...


It’s a Wednesday night, and I am dead-tired from a bad night of sleep, a long day at work and a cranky toddler. After I put my daughter to bed I eat a bowl of cereal while binge watching a show that I am not even enjoying. All of my motivation to do anything else has absorbed into the couch cushions. Well crap.

Maybe instead of watching Netflix, I could work on one of the many side projects I think about everyday. I know that tomorrow I will absolutely regret not doing it. What the heck happened to my motivation?

Lack of motivation can be attributed to many factors. Ignoring your physical needs is a big one. When life gets busy it is easy to go without breakfast or eat a late lunch. I am guilty for picking up Morgan after she has dinner at daycare and completely neglecting to feed myself, hence the bowl of Cheerios. It is really difficult to want to do anything when your blood sugar is low.

Having to make too many decisions at once can drain your batteries. Have you ever had the feeling where there is so much that needs to be done you just want to take a nap? Blame it on your brain. The more choices you make throughout the day, the harder each one becomes for your brain and at some point it starts looking for shortcuts.


How do I fix it?

If you are simply not taking care of yourself – start there. Think about where you could be going wrong with this and correct it. To help with an overwhelming amount of decisions, make a list and prioritize what needs to be done now versus what can wait.


Lastly, find something that you really want to do and do it! This could be as simple as finally cleaning out your fridge. Getting started is the hardest part. Once I get moving on something, you better believe I won’t stop until it’s done.

No comments: