Thursday, August 28, 2014

I Give it a Year



I give it a year.

To many people this would seem like a negative thing; a phrase of most epically discouraging and disrespectful proportions; a cocky bet against a relationship, business – just a bad omen against any success.

To me it was five of the most encouraging words I could have heard while in my work place.

You see, being the new girl or guy is hard no matter what you know, where you are or whom you work for – even though I work for and with amazing people: Dynamic visionaries, acceptant of my quirks and qualms. Yes, I’m getting paid while I write this blog, but I’m not getting paid to write this blog. (See what I did there?)

So there I was, initiating a performance review – a stuffy, archaic choice of words compared to how Worx works, but that is how the corporate world recognizes this concept…

So I asked, how am I doing? I really wanted to know if, in over-dramatizing my resumé, was I also over promising my work? Sure, I didn’t say I could speak seven languages, was ambidextrous with my feet or I had the ability to levitate. However, I’m a writer, and that one sheet of paper was my chance to prove my creative linguistic abilities. So way back in October of 2013 I took the liberty of being creative.

Every day since Laura and I have been learning to understand and cultivate my written language, so it reflects the custom work and strategies Amber and Kassie establish. Thereafter I realized I got one thing right on my resume: A picture speaks a thousand words; a writer’s job is to find them. When I penned that I had not realized just how prophetic it would be, because now it was time to put that into effect.

I give it a year, she replied at that performance review. A year? I can do a year. I have plenty of those, I hope.

Here’s the gist of the conversation:

You’re getting there. Ask any of the girls, and they’ll tell you that it takes a good year to get to know the clients and to communicate with them, to communicate for them and to understand them and their brand. And to feel confident doing it.

According to my LinkedIn Profile, (my poor calculation capabilities are not to be trusted), I’m coming up on that year and as I look back, Laura’s right. Although I’m not surprised. I’m a self-deprecating woman, so I admit that I was hesitant to believe I’d have the gutsy (proud Green Couch product placement) to get to know the clients, communicate on their behalf and feel confident during the entire process.

Most importantly I’ve learned to refer to Worx in the first person, taking ownership of my identity among the Worx team.

Where I work, “Your big idea means as much to us as it does to you, which is why we create Visual Branding for Big Ideas…so, how can we make it Write For You?”


Well, here’s to many more years. Y’all are stuck with me now!

No comments: