Thursday, August 7, 2014

I want it to happen yesterday!

I don't know about you, but it feels like the ideas in my head come in faster than I can do anything with them. And when that idea sparks, I want to do it right now. I want the idea to be reality; I want it to work and want it to generate the results I have pictured for it. Then I look up and realize that there is a to-do list waiting for me and that the idea needs to wait.

From there, one of two things happens; I either can't stop thinking about it or the idea disintegrates, and I move on to the next thing. If I can't stop thinking about it, I need to put a plan in place to nurture it. Chances are those are the golden nuggets that have meaning and purpose. If the idea withers away into the depths of my brain, either it wasn't worth acting on or I wasn't ready for it.

So what happens when an idea sticks and I want to do it yesterday? Patience kicks in, or at least it is supposed to. I think it depends on the complexity and size of the idea. If the idea is to change the formatting of our proposals, chances are I can create a timeline of when I can share that idea with my team, who is going to execute it and when we will have it completed. But if the idea is to start a new project, let’s use The Green Couch Project as a reference point (TGCP), which takes a little more time and effort. Understanding that time is needed to put the right people and things into place are invaluable. Had I tried to develop TGCP 4 years ago, I would not have been ready for it. My team wasn't fully in place; I hadn't matured enough in my experience, and I didn't have the right connections yet to develop it.

Here are some things I do to get the idea into the universe and action:

1. Tell my team. Your team could be your work team, friends and family that support your visions or your personal coach. I tend to do this randomly - my poor girls get random brain dumps from me but they usually end up being some of the best conversations. They aren't scripted, well thought out or constructed. The conversation starts with, "So I was thinking..." This will help you gauge whether it is a great idea or not and if there is a need for it.
2. Make a plan. With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it's easy to talk about your idea and let it sit for months on end. What are your next steps? What are some short-term goals you can make and accomplish? I love to see progress, so when we can do even the smallest things to work towards that end goal, I feel like there is momentum.
3. Be realistic. By when can this goal be achieved? Remember that diamonds are not formed overnight. It takes time, persistence and the right pressure to create them. Don't stress if you have not changed the world by the next day. I'm a firm believer that things happen when they are supposed to. Would you be able to handle the results from this idea today? If your goal is to increase your business by 10%, would you be able to handle that influx today? Most likely not - you would need to put things in place to handle that growth. 
4. Understand your mission. Why do you want to act on this idea? Does it improve someone's life? Does it smooth out a process? Does it align with your ultimate business goals? In other words, is this a stepping- stone to help you achieve one of your larger goals? Make sure you know why you are investing time and money into this idea.
5. Commit. Commit to executing your plan and achieving your goal. Commit to doing what it takes to take the idea and turn it into a tangible item that can be seen, heard or felt. The idea will only come to life if you put it in motion.


I'm just as guilty as the next person when it comes to executing ideas. I need to service our clients, take care of my home life and sleep at some point. I, too, am working on the 5 five things listed above.

No comments: